Wednesday 18 March 2015

The "BIG" school debate

So we've reached that junction in our child's life whereby we should start looking for a school for Grade R. And from the moment he was born I knew which school I wanted to send him to. But now that I've been talking to other parents and have heard of or seen other schools...I'm a bit confused.

For those of us who are parents and those of us who will be parents it's the age old question of which school is the right school?

We all of course cannot afford to send our children to private schools. So we look at the "upper level" government schools (this could also include semi-private schools.) You have to look at the area aspect of it, as most schools will not even consider your application  if you do not live in the area. (Although I have witnessed bus and taxi loads of children coming to school who obviously do not live in the area. But hey that's just my observation.)

I guess my biggest concern at the moment is do I leave my child in the pre-school he is now (as they do have a Grade R class) or do I move him to "big school" to do Grade R, so that when he starts Grade 1, he would already be in a routine and it wouldn't be a new, overwhelming experience. Do we choose a  co-ed or same sex school?

Most primary schools only have one Grade R class so the spaces are VERY limited. So this would also play a factor into whether or not he will leave or stay. Do I put him in a school close to home (where I would need to hire a nanny to pick him everyday) or do I put him in a school close to home (where I will have to put him in aftercare which by the way closes at 5:00pm everyday and I would have to somehow leave work early in order to pick him.) Which school best suits our pockets as school fees these nowadays are EXTREMELY high.

Today I however took a big step by getting my first set of application forms. Said school is my husband's first choice. The form is 3 pages long which I took as a good sign. This particular school is rich in history and in fact prides itself in its history. (This is quite evident in that 3 quarters of the application is based on if you have any family members in the school or if any of your family members have ever attended that school.)

There however were two things that literally took my breath away (and not in a good way.)
1. There is a whole questionnaire attached that basically is an essay as to why your child wants to attend the school. (Umm hello, at 4 years old I doubt he'd be able to say) and really what is the appropriate thing to say?
2. The HUGE deposit that is required upon acceptance ( I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that.)

So our quest will continue as most applications only open after the school holidays. We will be going to open days, fill out application forms and sit with baited breath while we wait for our son's future to be decided.

I'm nervous, excited, I'm feeling helluva old and I'm so scared because I want to make the right the decision, the best decision, not only for us but for my son. I want him to be in  a school where he is happy, where he'll grow in all aspects, both academically and on the sports field, where he'll fit in and stand out as a leader. Where he will learn qualities and life long lessons that will help shape him into a man above men. I want the best for him.

So here's to making the best/right choice for big school.

Xoxo, T.

4 comments:

  1. That would be such a tough decision! Where I live currently, there is only one school to choose from. I think I'd be paralyzed with fear if I had so many options! I hope you find one that is a good fit!

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. Yeah sometimes having so many options makes it that much harder. Thank you for allowing me to share on #MommyMeetupMondays

      Delete
  2. My son is only a year old so I thought it would be quite a while before we needed to start worrying about schools but now that we are looking for houses, I have to consider what schools we may want him to end up at, now! It is a lot to think about, but you've got this mama. I'm sure you will make the best choice for you all. Thank you for sharing this at #MommyMeetUpMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something that I have been thinking about for quite a long time and it feels like all of a sudden the time is now to decide :) (Oh how time flies.) I absolutely understand your situation and thank you so much for the vote of confidence. Thank you #MommyMeetUpMondays

      Delete